By Carol Haas.
Not what I was expecting early in this new year – My carbon monoxide detector began screaming – so loud I could hear it outside – Yikes! Changing the battery made no difference, so I called my furnace guy who had installed it. He asked if I felt sick or had a headache – which neither the cat nor I did. So he suggested I take the detector to a nearby fire station and they could check it out. So, I went over to 956 South 48th Street. The firemen said (as had my furnace man had) that the detectors only last about 5 years and mine was older so it had probably just served its useful life. The firemen also said they would come right away though and check out my house and bring a new detector. They followed me home, checked the house, and installed the new fire/carbon monoxide device. Thanks so much to the crew at Fire Station No. 34. Everything checked out fine – Big sigh of relief! And, there was no charge for the device or installation.
As a reminder – home safety is extremely important. If you think you have a problem, call 911 rather than driving off to a fire station. And, if you don’t have a warning device in your home, contact the Fire Department 402 444-3560 or check out this website: http://blog.omahaschoolsfoundation.org/osf-wants-to-bring-you-free-smoke-detectors/. Free smoke/carbon monoxide detectors maybe available to you if you need one.
Leave a Reply